Tips For Avoiding An Assault Or Attack
You can go through an assault or attack anywhere you go, at any time. These crimes are, by their nature, unpredictable. Recently, a Kennesaw State University student learned this when she was attacked somewhere she felt completely safe, on her school campus.
Student Attacked on Campus
KSU sent text and phone alerts to students, staff and faculty on Friday, May 4 of that year, alerting everyone to the victim’s attack. The alerts lit up phones and messaging at 7:45 a.m., a time when no one has crime on their mind. This made students look more closely at their own safety on campus, according to the Marietta Daily Journal.
The alert messages were vague and provided no information of precisely where the attacks occurred on school grounds. Nor did the alerts mention any details of how the attack occurred or how students could protect themselves. But many decided on their own they need to be more cautious when walking around on campus in the future.
Kennesaw State University has good security on campus. The school offers crime prevention programs through the Department of Public Safety. So after this particular attack, students likely participate more in these programs.
Tips for Personal Safety
Although attacks like this one are actually infrequent, you still need to be aware of your surroundings and take safety precautions. Some safety tips include:
- Walk with another person, instead of alone
- When walking at night, stick to well-lit public walkways and avoid going to dark or isolated areas
- Tell someone where you are going and when to expect your return, so they can alert police if you do not come back as planned
- Do not wear visible jewelry or carry valuables when walking and tuck your handbag tightly under your arm
- Remain aware of your surroundings and do not immerse yourself in texting while walking
- Talk on the phone while you walk and keep aware of your surroundings – this deters an attacker because you have someone on the phone
- Wear shoes you can run in and clothing that allows you to move freely
- When you see someone or something suspicious, alert police if you feel alarmed
- If someone follows you, change direction toward a well-lit and populated area
- Also if someone follows you, note their clothing and appearance to provide this information to police
- Report to police when someone follows you
Premises Owners Must Protect the Public
According to a knowledgeable Phoenix personal injury lawyer, many attacks occur because public locations do not provide the security they should. Other types of injuries occur due to poor safety and security, as well. Arizona premises liability claims frequently include rape, criminal attacks, abduction, robbery and other crimes. Public premises owners know crimes may occur on their property, so they should do everything possible to prevent these problems. However, once the injury happens, or an incident takes place, then you need help from experienced Assault Attorneys in Fort Worth, TX.
Some of the precautions and protective measures premises owners should take include installing working alarm systems, equipping the property with video surveillance systems, ensuring locks function, employing security personnel and lighting the property well. If you feel that the property owner was negligent in providing a safe environment on their property, you can contact the Fort Worth Assault Lawyers at our office. We have experienced Assault Attorneys in Tarrant County working at our office who can be contacted at (817) 332-3115 for a Free Consultation.
Arizona Premises Liability Lawyers
When you suffer injury on someone else’s premises, you must prove their negligence that led to your attack or injury. This is not as easy as it sounds. You need experts in the field of premises liability for your case to provide the best outcome. A personal injury lawyer knows premises liability law inside and out. They take on cases like yours, ensuring premises owners provide the compensation injured parties deserve. Call us today to talk with our Dallas, Texas Assault Lawyers.